At CBFD we take oral cancer seriously. We use OralID to fluoresce your gingival tissue with blue light. By doing this we are able to seeing precancerous and cancerous cells far sooner than with the naked eye. We do a thorough oral cancer exam at our hygiene recare appointments.
HPV is the cause of the fastest growing oral cancer population under the age of 45 and is responsible for a 15x increase in oral cancer diagnosis.
• 40% of new diagnosis are YOUNG, NON-SMOKERS
• 53,000 new cases of oral cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx
• 65% 5-year survival rate for cancers of the oral cavity and pharynx combined
• 69% of oral cancers are found in LATE STAGE
• 10,860 deaths due to late diagnosis
• 1 in 3 men will develop cancer in their lifetime
• 1 in 3 women will develop cancer in their lifetime
• Men are more than 2x as likely to develop oral cancer
• HPV-related cancers are 6-7 times more common in men than women
• Oropharyngeal cancers are now the most common HPV-related cancer in the US
• Those with 6 or more oral sex partners are 8.6x more likely than those who have never had oral sex
• Number of oral cancers has increased over a 16 year period, where all other cancers have declined
• HPV is transmitted through saliva, sexual, and skin-to-skin contact
Please call us if you have any concerns.